2017 has been an incredible year for fashion, music, and art. Since the marvelous year of music and culture is coming to an end, I decided to make a short list of some artists that seriously kicked ass in the music scene this year.
Note: 2/5 on this list are groups with MULTIPLE artists in them. Since they’re groups, they count as one for this list. 🙂
- Gucci Mane- Gucci Mane was released from jail last September, and by the grace of God this man has been going absolutely IN on the music scene. He’s been so productive from dropping more than 3 albums starting with “Everybody Looking” when he got out of prison, to being featured on some of the hottest songs of 2017 such as “Slippery” by Migos and the “Crew” remix by GoldLink. Not only has Gucci been dropping fire albums and hit after hit but he’s been maintaining a positive, fresh image and everybody seems to love it! Gucci also got married to Keyshia Ka’Oir this year. Big congrats to them, but can we talk about that wedding? The all white theme? The 75 THOUSAND DOLLAR cake? ICONIC.
This is Gucci’s world, we’re just living in it.
4. Lil Uzi Vert- Not trying to include any bias into this blog post (actually yes I am it’s my blog with my own opinion) but Lil Uzi Vert is f*cking popping. I first became a fan of Lil Uzi Vert when I heard some of his music on soundcloud and once I heard Luv Is Rage I was like “yup, I f*ck with him”. But let’s talk about his role in 2017. Not only has Uzi been featured on several top charting songs in 2017, but his own song XO Tour Life has a video directed by Off-White designer Virgil Abloh with a current whopping 122 MILLION views. Uzi has gained so much popularity throughout 2017 for his “rockstar” rapper aesthetic and I think it’s so dope. It’s 2017, Hip Hop is obviously changing by the minute and the fact that Lil Uzi Vert is gaining the interest of millions of people by having his own unique style in the rap scene is what shows that he’s owned this year. How can you dislike Uzi and his notorious shoulder roll? He def wasn’t left off Bad and Boujee.
3. A$AP Mob- A$AP Mob is for the culture. Not only is A$AP Mob a very well known rap group that’s been around for a couple years now, but they are style and fashion icons. The Mob’s very own A$AP Ant launched a Skate Label named Marino Infantry and snapped on it nevertheless. A$AP Ant also just dropped several hoodies that you can find at http://store.marinoinfantry.com . Along with Marino Infantry, A$AP Twelvyy dropped his LYBB collection as well (you already know I had to cop). Even A$AP Nast went ahead and collabed with Converse and dropped two gorgeous pairs of shoes. The whole Mob also just did a campaign for Calvin Klein! It’s been a very busy year for them. Though the whole Mob is talented through and through themselves, as one group together they are unstoppable. They dropped Cozy Tapes Vol. 2 this year with features from artists such as Gucci Mane, Chief Keef, and Lil Yachty. The Mob also has just wrapped up their Too Cozy Tour, which I attended btw and it was f*cking INSANE (the story is for another blog post another time). What I really like about A$AP Mob is the wild energy and love for the youth they project. 2017 was a great year for them.
- Cardi B- SAID LIL B*TCH U CAN’T F*CK WITH ME IF U WANTED TO- ahem. Excuse me, I still don’t know how to act when I hear Bodak Yellow. Is there more I really need to say? Cardi B damn near made the most iconic song of 2017, IDGAF who you are but are you even human if you hear Bodak Yellow and don’t get in your zone? Bodak Yellow became number 1 on the Billboard 100 chart in September and stayed there for THREE weeks straight. Cardi is the first female to have a rap song reach number 1 on the Billboard 100 since 1998. THAT MAKES ME SO F*CKING HAPPY. Besides Bodak Yellow, Cardi B has other hot ass songs such as “Lick” ft. Offset and “MotorSport”. Not only is she killing the mainly male-dominated rap game, but she has been featured on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine and has been headlining shows all year. Cardi B has even been nominated for multiple awards, INCLUDING two Grammy’s for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance. Annnnddddd, SHE’S ENGAGED TO OFFSET! My girl is really set.
1. Migos- MIGOS! Did ya’ll read that in their adlib voice? Cause that’s the voice I typed it in. Where do I start with Migos? The fact that Culture is an album filled with all hits? The fact that Quavo, Offset, and Takeoff have all been doing hot ass features all year? The fact that the Migos are a couple of the most iced out rappers in the game? They really just too raw for no f*cking reason. Like I’m mad at how smooth they are with it. They dropped a couple hits around the past couple of years like “Handsome and Wealthy” and “Fight Night”, and thought “Damn, mfs still sleeping on us, we waking everybody up in 2017”. They really have me shook because I haven’t heard a Migos song I don’t like yet and I’m not mad at it. They really made 2017 their b*tch. They topped the charts with Bad and Boujee and T-Shirt, earlier in the year and now with MotorSport and their featured song with Gucci Mane, “I Get the Bag”. I can’t wait to see what they have in store for 2018.
Whether you like these artists or not, you can’t deny the moves they made this year. 2017 has been all for the culture and I can’t wait to see what 2018 has in store.