Greetings, friends! Ray here. It’s been quite a busy weekend between having a field trip yesterday (which was pretty underwhelming) and preparing for my lab practical on Tuesday and trying to maintain my sanity. Everything seems to be fine on this end, aside from the multitude of projects that have been bestowed upon me by the demigods of academia, punishing me for graduating this semester. Ah, swell.
Today’s mashup of the week is actually an album. Maybe for the remainder of the semester I’ll share my favorite mashup albums; it seems like a fitting gesture, like Oprah’s Favorite Things, except I’m not rich enough to give away cars. Normally I’d post something terse and compact, but I’ve been waiting for quite some time to share one of my all-time favorite mashup albums. Enter The Heist by Easter Egg.
It was originally released in 2011, back when I was still in high school (yikes), so it has had some time to age. I only first heard this album in 2013, and then revisited it over this past winter break, longing for the exceptional mashups within. The Heist incorporates a few decades’ worth of R&B, pop, and hip hop into a frenzy of unique combinations. While some samples are may have already run their course (“No Scrubs” by TLC), by and large Easter Egg brings on some new-meets-old surprises that all blend together seamlessly. The first twenty or so minutes focuses heavily on R&B dotted with plenty of classic hits, and the latter half is a barrage of recognizable pop instrumentals and vocals from the past decade. This album will definitely satisfy the R&B heads and Top 40 lovers. Let it be the soundtrack to your next party or your next study session pow-wow.
I don’t know what Easter Egg has been up to since The Heist’s monumental release. Unfortunately Easter Egg doesn’t have a Soundcloud anymore, so the next best stream is from a secondhand uploader. Obviously the real album doesn’t have those random comments about beer. It’s pretty upsetting because this upload doesn’t even have the full album (last few minutes are missing)—but ah well, it should do.
To whet your earbuds, here are some of my favorite mixes:
- “Creep” by Radiohead • “Sky’s the Limit” by Biggie (listen!)
- “One Minute Man” by Missy Elliott • “Little Secrets” by Passion Pit (listen!)
- “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele • “Every Breath You Take” by The Police (listen!)
- “What’z Ya Phone #” by 2Pac • “Patron Tequila” by Paradiso Girls • “Animal” by Miike Snow (listen!)
- “Memories” by David Guetta • “Bulletproof” by La Roux (listen!)
- “We R Who We R” by Kesha • “I Don’t Want You Back” by Eamon (listen!)
- “Cooler Than Me” by Mike Posner • “Like a G6” by Far East Movement • “Smack My B**** Up” by The Prodigy • “We No Speak Americano” by Yolanda Be Cool (listen!)
- “Shine Cause I Grind” by Crime Mob • “Lil Freak” by Usher feat. Nicki Minaj • “What’s Up” by 4 Non Blondes (aka the He-Man Song) (listen!)
- “Hard in Da Paint” by Waka Flocka • “BedRock” by Young Money • “Starry Eyed” by Ellie Goulding (listen!)
If you’ve been inspired and want to support this mashup artist, a download link to the 24-track version of The Heist is here, courtesy of the artist himself.
Got any favorite albums that will forever be on repeat? Comment below!